If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, you may want to file an insurance claim to seek compensation. Like many folks, though, you may have never been in this type of situation before and may be unsure about how to handle it. The insurance company will offer its help, but they do not have your best interests in mind. Therefore, the first thing to do after seeking medical care is to retain a skilled Houston traffic accident lawyer. They will be your advocate as your claim is processed and will take steps to help protect your rights as the process unfolds.
Filing a Motorcycle Accident Insurance Claim: Things to Do
- Do read and understand your insurance policy. Find out if you have multiple policies too.
- Do contact your insurance company right away. Seek medical attention and hire a Houston accident injury attorney.
- Do collect as much information about the incident as possible, including photos of the scene and information about witnesses.
- Do collect insurance information from the other party, if applicable.
- Do be straightforward and honest when communicating with insurance company investigators. When in doubt, ask your attorney before answering a question.
- Do keep written accounts of conversations or other communications you have with your insurance company regarding the claim.
- Do save receipts, bills and other documents concerning vehicle repairs, medical care and other expenses related to your motorcycle accident.
Filing a Motorcycle Accident Insurance Claim: Things Not to Do
When filing an insurance claim for a motorcycle accident:
- Don’t admit fault or liability. Strictly stick with providing facts–not opinions.
- Don’t disregard time limits. Oftentimes, you have a limited window of time during which you can file a claim. If you let it pass, you may be out of luck entirely.
- Don’t sign any waivers, releases or other documents without consulting with your attorney.
- Don’t give insurance company representatives anything in writing without completely understanding your insurance policy and claim.
- Don’t take everything that’s said by the insurance company as gospel. Remember, they want to pay out as little as possible, so they are likely to provide lowball estimates regarding the value of your claim. Don’t let these tactics discourage or distract you from getting the full amount to which you are entitled.
- Don’t accept any checks from the insurance company as full and final payment without the go-ahead of your lawyer. All too often, insurance companies offer rock-bottom settlements to discourage people from pursuing claims.
- Don’t discuss your medical condition with insurance company representatives. Even saying something as innocuous as “I’m okay” can have major repercussions down the line. Instead, let the doctors’ reports and notes speak for themselves. Your attorney should instruct insurance reps to check your medical records for the information they need.
- Don’t attempt to settle a claim with your insurance company without qualified legal representation. Insurance companies bank on people being unrepresented in such cases.
As you can see, the majority of the things to avoid when filing a motorcycle accident insurance claim can be easily handled by skilled Houston vehicle accident lawyers. Even if you promise yourself not to cave in to the insurance company, they know how to get what they want out of such situations. Don’t let this happen to you. As soon as you are medically stable for your motorcycle accident personal injuries, get in touch with an experienced and competent attorney. Their assistance and guidance will dramatically increase the odds of the claim coming out in your favor, so make hiring a lawyer a top priority.